Friday is here YAY! That means more time for sleep, catch on work, fun things to do, and new ways to get FIT! Sometimes getting into a gym after work can be a drag, especially when friends or co-workers invite you to happy hour.
If we wanna maintain goals and stay on track, its good to have back-up plans or new ideas to have in mind that will keep us focused. So what if we can’t get in that 45 min spin class we wanted? Maybe a walk or a bike ride on Saturday will work. Its a about balance. Something is better then nothing right?! That’s where recreation comes in! No one seems to use that word anymore…lol. I have my minor in it, so I’m used to calling any activity (gym or no gym) that name. I mean running, cycling, dance, hiking, swimming, walking, stand-up paddle boarding (another fav!), roller blading, fitness in general etc. is considered recreation. (btw who still roller blades?!?). So when you dread heading into the gym, re-think it and see if any of these activities seem, hmm…fun-er? 😉
- Running—the whole foundation of my blog is top of my list!
- Benefits: aerobic, anywhere, only need shoes, quick!
- Swimming—a great summertime sport that includes some resistance, not just aerobic
- Benefits: aerobic, low impact, some resistance involved, total body type movement
- Walking—anyone can do it!
- Benefits: somewhat aerobic, great/easy way to get moving for any fitness level, no special clothes or equipment required, fun, convenient
- Hiking—not really here in FL (although in some parts, yes!), varying terrain makes this activity tough and invigorating
- Benefits: aerobic, great way to see the outdoors, good for doing in groups, challenges balance, works small muscle groups in the legs and foot
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding—A Floridian’s favorite, or can be done on any flat lake or calm inlet.
- Benefits: somewhat aerobic, great for balance, core, and posture, good for groups, great workout for upper body
- Roller Blading—An oldie, but goodie!
- Benefits: aerobic, great strength workout for legs, convenient, good for balance and core
Yes, these activities do NOT require a gym, but who said to improve you had to be in one?? Not here! This time of year can be tough getting in a workout, so the options above offer something for everyone without completely ditching your workout altogether…better then no workout, AM I RIGHT?! They might not create the strength training, heavy sweat sesh workout all of us crave, but they do offer tons of benefits. A good thing to keep in mind around the holidays, when you’re with family, friends, co-workers, etc and want to do something together!
YOUR TURN: Any good go-to activities you guys do that help with staying on track during the holiday season?? Comment below!